Sunday, July 17, 2011

When Faith & Works Collide

I grew up with a Christian faith,
or so I have been told,
and so have spent my living days
following all the things of old.

Tradition has dictated each
and every move I make.
"You have to do this, do that,
follow each step we take."

And so I lived as I've been told,
assuming my life will become pure as gold.
I tried to be a good a person as can be
to make it heaven for all  eternity.

I prayed to "holy saints" above,
been told of their help that I'd get a lot of.
I prayed, I fasted, knelt and served,
hoping heaven will be what I'll DESERVE.

And so I lived my life as such,
believing one day my good works will weigh much.
I believed that when God would look at me,
He'll at least be proud and happy as can be.

And then one day came amazing "GRACE,"
I've never met Him like that face-to-face.
He told me "LISTEN! I'm the Word of God...
COME now, you're Mine, you're purchased by My Blood."

"Open up now those eyes to SEE...
EVERYTHING you need you'll find in ME.
I ONLY AM THE WAY, THE TRUTH, THE LIFE...
IN ME ENDS ALL OF YOUR STRIFE!"

"YOUR striving, YOUR struggling for heaven's place
is nothing but a VAIN and HOPELESS case.
No-one goes to the Father in heaven BUT BY ME,
that is why I've come to SET YOU FREE!"

I've got my questions raised up in mind,
"But LORD, am I to leave good works behind?
Some are things I've learned from tradition of old!
Turning away from them would be so bold!"

"What will I do without my prayer beads?
What will I be without the ceremonial deeds?
Who will be praying for my poor soul,
if I cease to believe the co-redeemer's role?"
"Lord, I must do something else for me.
Surely it's more than just proclaiming Faith in Thee!
Traditions of old are proofs of what's true,
Didn't the church fathers passed it on from You?"
As I looked into the eyes of Grace
I felt His touch and warm embrace,
"I love YOU, I have died for you.
Let those ears open up to what's True."

"I ONLY AM THE WAY, THE TRUTH, THE LIFE...
Do not struggle, there's really no need to fight.
Believe in ME and in Him who sent Me,
And you'll be with Me for all eternity!"

Have Faith in Me and in My words, child
No longer let your thoughts run wild.
My gift of life is for eternity
I PAID THE PRICE and so to you it's FREE.

I paid in full the price to appease the wrath
my Father in heaven prepared for your very path.
You see you're born into the bondage of iniquity
and no amount of YOUR work could ever set you free.

But I and the Father are one, you know.
And because the Father loves you so,
He sent ME to die in your place,
He sent ME to be that amazing Grace.

A gift that is offered ONCE AND FOR ALL,
Come, follow ME... Come heed my call.
I ONLY AM THE SOURCE OF LIFE, THE TRUTH, THE WAY.
LISTEN, LISTEN! TO WHAT I SAY.

"There is only ONE mediator between God and man,
ONE TRUTH prevails even before the world began.
I AM YOUR BEGINNING AND YOUR END,
It is I whom the Father sent."

"When will you put your trust in ME?
and BELIEVE in ALL that I have done for thee?
Traditions are but words of man passed on,
in the end they would all be gone.

MY WORD stands forever and ever,
MY TRUTH is the ONLY answer.
MY GRACE is sufficient to save your soul,
MY POWER will be in control.

And just like that my eyes began to see,
the ONLY TRUTH that's hid from me!
Oh amazing Grace, this I can't hide!
FAITH and WORKS indeed collide.

When He brings life to a deadened soul,
He makes all my brokenness whole.
I could never be saved by MY good works,
But rather, I'm saved by HIM to bear good works.
ONLY HE IS THE WAY, HE IS TRUTH AND LIFE!
I have been made whole SOLELY BY HIS STRIPES!
It is ALL BY HIM and ALL FOR HIM!
My future is no longer dim!

JESUS DIED TO SET ME FREE
from death and the bondage of Religious Slavery.
God sent His Son to die for me,
in order that I will live WITH Him for all eternity.


CAlicaya
07-17-2011

6 comments:

  1. Praise God!! Boy oh boy do we have much to be thankful for and we have an eternity to show our gratitude to our Abba Father... words cannot describe how wonderful that will be :o)

    Marisa
    http://www.meyouandcreamedcorn.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Marisa! Thanks for dropping by. Stay blessed, sister! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though we are saved by Grace alone, good works does not collide with Jesus' words when he said "love one another".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anonymous!
    Amen. I agree with you. I guess when I made this poem my mind was purely focused on the context of salvation more than anything else. :) Thank you for dropping by, though. Be blessed always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just because the schools only need 75% to pass doesnt mean we should not strive to get 100%, right? Just because we are already saved doesn't mean we don't have to strive to excel as human beings right? Just because we are only human, doesn't mean we don't have to strive to be perfect as our Father is, right? When Jesus said, "love one another...", it was a call to action for me...to volunteer, to help out, show compassion, feed the hungry, heal the sick, clothe the naked, give shelter to the homeless, etc.. :) Be blessed always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. :) Hi Anonymous!

    It is interesting that you use the word "STRIVE" in explaining your point. That's the very essence of spiritual slavery, my dear reader. We DON'T STRIVE to BECOME something for God. What is your purpose for wanting to excel as a human being? You should look into your heart and see what exactly it is and WHY you want to excel and BE perfect.

    God never required any of us to be perfect because we could NEVER be as such. All of the good works we could ever do in this lifetime are as FILTHY RAGS before His throne! (see Isaiah 64:6) There is only ONE who is perfect, and that is the LORD JESUS CHRIST. That is why God sent Him to be like us and to die on the cross for us in order for HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS to become ours when we TRUST in Him and His completed work on the cross. That is why HE is THE ONLY WAY, THE ONLY TRUTH, and THE ONLY SOURCE LIFE.

    The good that any "saved" human being could ever do has only ONE purpose (and ONE PURPOSE ALONE)-- and that is NOT to excel as a human being--but instead, it is this:

    "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, AND GLORIFY YOUR FATHER WHICH IS IN HEAVEN." (Matthew 5:16)

    ALL the glory belongs to God, my friend... we should never attempt any vain feat to rob him of that one! Blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin